Friday, October 24, 2008

You say potato, I say Turkeyfoot

This weekend I am going to Lower Turkeyfoot, Pennsylvania, to find three graves of my ancestors.


It all started with an email from my Aunt, who wondered innocently how often I go to PA, and escalated into a fantastic trip that I am taking with Laura E. Tonight I go to Philadelphia, and we will buy provisions for the road ahead. Saturday morning we are leaving for Mill Run, PA (20 miles outside of Turkeyfoot) where we are going to see Falling Water, the Frank Lloyd Wright house. I’ve always wanted to see a FLW house—sometimes the partial rooms in museums just don’t cut it.


Then Sunday we are going down to Addison to find a church where my great-great-great-grandfather was a Methodist preacher! I am most excited about this part of the trip. I’m sentimental for churches that my dad’s family had preached in, because my parents got married in a church where my great-grandparents preached. I guess knowing that there is a tradition like that in my family makes me feel connected to something. Continuity feels good.


Sunday afternoon we are going to rent bikes and ride the Allegheny Rail trail. Hopefully the weather will stay cheerful for us, and we get to see some beautiful Laurel Highlands-style fall foliage!


Pictures to follow…